Sunday 29 November 2015

Gathering Nuts for Winter......

....is something a squirrel does right? It scurries round, gathering them all up and stuffs them in a hole to eat during the dead of winter, when there are no nuts to be had.

Makes perfect sense.


I, on the other hand, do not need to gather nuts. I can have nuts anytime I want. And not just one type of nut, oh no, I can get my hands on all types of nuts, Brazil nuts, Pecan nuts, salted nuts, dry roasted nuts. I have access to those bad boys all winter long.

That's because, as a species, we've evolved, and, in our infinite wisdom, have created supermarkets.

Markets that are "Super".  Markets that have a constant supply of food from all around the world, all winter long.

I bet the squirrels are jealous.


When I lived back in Ol' Blighty, I used to visit the Supermarket almost everyday. Living in an urban centre, I very often walked to work, and would drop in on my way home, to buy groceries for dinner. Or more likely, dinner already prepared, ready for the oven. Simple.
To make myself feel like I was managing my money and budgeting like a grown-up, I would visit a larger superstore once in a while and buy some stuff in larger packages....you know, so they lasted longer.

But in no way did it ever occur to me, that I should hoard food for winter....

So imagine my bewilderment......

Husband: " I'm going hunting next week"
Me : "What for?"
Husband: "Elk. And maybe Deer."
Me: "No, I meant, what for....why?"
Husband : "To kill Elk. And maybe Deer"....clearly not understanding the question..
Me : "But why would you do that? I don't want dead stuffed animal heads on the wall...."
Husband: "No, me neither. But I do want the meat"
Me. "Ohhhhh. But isn't that hard work, I mean, they will be all covered in fur...and eww, what about the guts and stuff?"
Husband: "I'll skin them and gut them, and then you can help me butcher them..."
Me: "Whhaaatttt?
Husband: 'Yep, and then we'll have a freezer full of meat. For the winter."

For the winter. 

Putting aside images of Bambi for a minute, I thought about it and said...

'Oh yeah, I get it....like gathering nuts.."

Husband : 'Sure, I can keep the nuts. They make good eatin'...."...



2 comments:

  1. My man goes hunting for high quality used wheels on Craigslist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, hopefully he hoards them somewhere out of your way!

      Delete